Thursday, January 29, 2009

Importance of the Little Things

It's funny the things you think about. It may sound silly but I keep thinking about how I won't get to hug her squishy little body for almost 2 years without a big hard cast on. Don't get me wrong I am VERY grateful to have this casting opportunity to cure her. But there is nothing like holding your babies warm little body. I keep thinking how sad it is that she won't get to enjoy bath time the way little ones do. Or that this summer, she won't get to play in the pool with her big sister. I'm sure we will be keeping her indoors a lot because the cast will be so hot. Not a lot of outdoor time this year. And then there's what it will do to her skin. I hear it can rub places on her little body raw. And to anyone who has had a cast..well the itching. I just feel bad, and although she won't remember this time, it still breaks my heart. But it's for the best and we will get through it.

I've been keeping the heat in our house up and letting her be in just a diaper a lot. She LOVES to be naked (as most babies do). When she is cranky, just take her clothes off and it's like a different baby. I have also been videoing and taking lots of pictures of her like that. Mostly because she has so much fun, especially bath time with Mackenzie. She just splashes and shrieks and is sooo funny!

Just to give you an idea of just how normal her back looks here is a picture. If you look closely you can just barely see how her left side ribs stick out a bit more than the right. I'm sure this sounds ridiculous, but I keep looking at Mackenzie's spine. Running my hands down it to make sure it is growing straight. (It is, by the way:)

Well, I will write more tomorrow as she is getting fitted for her brace. I can't imagine making a mold of a squirmy babies torso. It should be an experience.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Mel,
    Thanks for sending the link to your blog. She is so cute and i wish we could see you guys more:) Your Family is in our prayers.
    April, Homer, Haley & Brylie

    ReplyDelete